A real estate agent is the key to purchasing or selling a home. It can be one of the most significant financial decisions in your life. So naturally, you want to find someone who is the best real estate agent for you.
A professional real estate agent has the experience to smoothly and efficiently guide you through the process of buying or selling a home. The best real estate agents do it systematically.
With many professionals out there vying for your attention online and offline, finding just the right person who is the best real estate agent for you might seem overwhelming – but don’t worry! Here are some tips on how to make sure you hire an experienced real estate professional:
1. Word-of-Mouth referrals from friends and family.
Friends and family are excellent sources of referrals for a professional real estate agent. Ask them if they have had a good experience with a particular agent before or if they have any recommendations for someone they believe is the best real estate agent in your area.
Ask them what they enjoyed most about working with that particular agent and about their experience of the real estate transaction. If you like what you hear, ask them if they would be willing to share the real estate agent’s contact information with you.
2. Speak to a mortgage lender before you hire a real estate agent.
When considering buying a home, speak with a local mortgage broker or local mortgage lender and ask them if they have any trusted real estate agent recommendations.
A mortgage broker or banker is constantly working with real estate agents and can suggest who may be a good fit for your particular real estate needs. Some questions you can ask include:
- Who is the best real estate agent you know?
- What is your opinion of them?
- Did the agent provide you with a comprehensive service, or did they list and sell homes for commission alone?
- How many successful transactions have you done with them?
Local mortgage brokers or lenders are an excellent resource for real estate agent referrals.
What if you are selling a home? As a home seller, you do not need a mortgage; however, the same principle applies. You most likely worked with a mortgage broker to finance your home, and you worked with a realtor to buy the house.
If you had a great experience in your earlier home buying process, go back to the professionals you worked with before. If they are unavailable, implement the steps mentioned above or any of the steps recommended in this article.
3. Google search “Top Real Estate Agents in [Your City]”
The Google search engine is a potent tool to find products and services. Google also has business listings of professional real estate agents in your area.
A simple Google search of “Best Local Real Estate Agents” will bring up a list of the top professionals in your city. You can also type into google: “How to find a real estate agent near me? or How do I get an appointment for home buying advice?”
What’s fantastic about the results you receive is that they are often varying types that you can evaluate and get a good idea of the real estate agent’s quality of services.
The search results will typically provide the real estate agent’s website, rankings, reviews, location, and contact information.
4. Visit local real estate agent websites and social media profiles.
A professional and experienced real estate agent should have a professional website and professional social media profiles. Google search any real estate agent you are considering and check out their websites and social media profiles.
You are looking for professionalism in conducting themselves online, any testimonials on their website, professional associations, their licensing or professional credentials, and whether they have any helpful real estate guides or tools online.
5. Select three to five real estate agents and interview them.
Many real estate agents are happy to meet with you to discuss your real estate needs. Talking directly to several agents can help you narrow down who you would like to engage. Some excellent questions you can ask a real estate agent about their expertise are:
Five questions you can ask a real estate agent if you are a home seller
- What is your strategy for marketing my home?
- How do you handle open houses and showings?
- Do you have a team of people who will help me sell my property?
- Do I need to be available during the day or evening hours for showings and appointments?
- What are your fees, including commission, advertising costs, and other expenses that I should expect to pay when hiring you as my agent?
Five questions you can ask a real estate agent if you are a home buyer
- What is your experience in the current real estate market?
- What are some of your best-selling properties, and what makes them so popular?
- How quickly can you find me a home that meets my needs?
- Do you charge any upfront fees or commissions, and if not, how do you get paid for your services?
- Can I see an example of one of your listings before we start working together?
6. Look for real estate agent reviews and testimonials on Google Reviews, Yelp, and Better Business Bureau.
Online reviews and testimonials are among the most powerful ways people can share their experience with a real estate agent. Thanks to the internet’s power, it is effortless to find online reviews for real estate agents.
What you need to know is that there are many different sources where you can do this. For example, you could check out the agent’s profile on Google, Yelp, The Better Business Bureau (BBB), Trulia, Zillow, or Realtor.com and see what previous clients have said about them.
7. Look up a list of top-rated real estate agents on sites like Zillow.com and Realtor.com.
These websites keep track of local real estate agents that are successfully helping people buy and sell homes. In addition, these websites rate agents with a popularity score (how many people they have helped) and an overall satisfaction rating.
The website also lists the number of homes each agent sold and the time on the market for every property listed by your real estate professional.
Of course, all this information helps choose which local Realtor you want to work closely with throughout one or more transactions.
There are great real estate agents in your area, and you can find the best real estate agent for you.
Finding a great real estate agent can be challenging, but it’s crucial if you’re looking to buy or sell your home. Agents are paid on commission and will work hard for the clients who pay them well. However, they should also understand your needs and goals as a buyer or seller.
Great realtors have many skills that make them stand out from other agents, including communication, negotiation, project management, networking skills, and knowledge about market conditions.
A great real estate agent is also someone who has an excellent understanding of local neighborhoods and communities, which helps when looking for homes for sale or trying to find new customers.